Ham Radio
Ham Radio, Electronics, Software and more...

Home » Ham Radio » Antennas and Feedlines » Shortwave and AM Antenna Questions
Shortwave and AM Antenna Questions [message #86] Mon, 04 December 2006 18:03 Go to next message
Robert McClure is currently offline  Robert McClure
Hello,

I have begun to read about and to try to learn which particular shortwave antenna configuration might be best suited for my particular shortwave/AM reception application.

What I have is an old Radio Shack (DX-390) AM/FM/MW-Shortwave receiver. A small AM loop antenna (about 6" dia.) has zero effect on AM reception. I have reversed the connections to the plug (changed the ground)and this does not help. I still get zero AM reception. Yet a small AM/FM radio in the kitchen can receive a number of stations, expecially when I move the simple 12" line antenna around a bit.

My shortwave antenna question is this: how can I start getting some reception on shortwave? I get only a very little bit of reception with the built-in telescoping antenna. I have read about a "Multiband Longwire" shortwave antenna (144'/118'6"/91'9"/79'3") and a more complicated "Center Fed Multiband (Fan) Dipole" (which halves the above lengths on each side of the center pole).

I like the second because I understand it is less directional that the first tends to be, assuming this is true.

Or could I get away with just attaching a long wire in my attic?

I don't yet know what frequencies I would want to listen to more or less regularly. But at first I'd like to be able to just sample what is out there (1711 thru 29,999).

Any help, including recommendations on basic books for beginners like myself, would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Robert McClure
Atlanta
Re: Shortwave and AM Antenna Questions [message #116 is a reply to message #86] Tue, 06 March 2007 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celes_maxtrac is currently offline  celes_maxtrac
hi

[Updated on: Tue, 06 March 2007 22:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Shortwave and AM Antenna Questions [message #1294 is a reply to message #86] Sat, 03 March 2012 21:29 Go to previous message
root is currently offline  root
Robert:

There is a great book called "Passport to World Band Radio". This would probably be a great book to start with if you need a lot of information.

ISBN # is: 0914941801

You can probably pick this book up at amazon for about $30 or so. But it is a great book if you want to learn more.

Hope this helps.

Aaron
Next Topic: 10 Meter EH Antenna
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 17:16:15 EST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03590 seconds