Ham Radio
Ham Radio, Electronics, Software and more...

Home » Ham Radio Mods » Motorola Mods » Syntor X Amateur Conversion (2M) (Syntor X Amateur Conversion (2M))
Syntor X Amateur Conversion (2M) [message #309] Thu, 20 January 2011 00:38
root is currently offline  root
I have found the Syntor to be a relatively inexpensive easy to convert radio for 2 Meter amateur use.

The EEPROMS used commonly in the orange label memory module are 2816A(28C16)devices normally supplied by SEEQ and have no markings on the top of the package.

There is a more rare version that has a white label and it uses a unique one time burned prom. Best bet if you encounter one of these would be to upgrade to the orange label module but there are a couple of devices on the personality board that are not compatible with the faster memory module Motorola document 68-80100453 explains this in depth if you have access.

The PROMS are easily programmed using a commercial EPROM programmer that supports the 2816 device I use a Pocket Programmer from Transtronics and it seems to work fine. There is software available that allows the image to be generated and loaded to the programmer which in turn programs the memory. module.pbenett@macnet.com is an excellent source for the software.

VCO modification may be needed in some cases for general ham use the solder jumpers on the VCO board need to be soldered together where the factory tuning cut was made as that will add the necessary capacitance to allow the VCO to lock on the new frequencies. If the unlock led located near the RF board is glowing constant when PTT is applied or in RX most likely the VCO will need modification or the software did not dump the data to the programmer correctly.

Beware I have ran into some freeware software that may have possibly used the wrong algorithm which resulted in incorrect code plug data even when the software reads correctly.

Good Luck with the mod.
kg4muc

[Updated on: Thu, 20 January 2011 00:49]

Report message to a moderator

Next Topic: Motorola HSN1000A
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 15:14:40 EST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03616 seconds