Ham Radio
Ham Radio, Electronics, Software and more...

Home » Electronics » Rasberry Pi » GoodFET42 Firmware Programming with Raspberry Pi (GoodFET42 Firmware Programming with Raspberry Pi)
GoodFET42 Firmware Programming with Raspberry Pi [message #3049] Thu, 27 November 2014 02:59
root is currently offline  root
I ordered my boards from Travis and they came in within a few days! Thanks Travis! The boards were very well made and worth every penny. Mounting the SMD chips wasn't too bad either. The first row I soldered on the main M430F2618 chip ended up with a couple of crossed pins because I moved the soldering iron in the wrong direction and it bent a pin.. (I don't have brain surgery hands anymore.. Wink These pins are generic IO pins and they weren't being used, so I just left them. I don't think anyone will notice except for me and even though it bothers me, it works fine and it isn't worth the time to try to separate them.

As for the programming of the firmware, this was a little tricky. At first I was using Windows with Cygwin and I had nothing but problems with the make install.

I wrote this post to help others who may have run into similar problems with their GoodFET programming.

I had my Raspberry Pi handy and decided to use this to do the firmware programming. Once hooked up, python-serial needed to be installed. (Python was already installed prior to this, if it isn't installed, it should be..)

#Make sure the GoodFET device is the correct device. You can find this by looking in /dev/ . You can do an ls on the /dev/ directory with it unplugged, then plugged in. Whatever shows up when plugged in should be what is used (ex: ttyUSB0)

export GOODFET=/dev/ttyUSB0
export board=goodfet42

sudo apt-get install binutils-msp430 gcc-msp430 msp430-libc mspdebug
sudo apt-get python-serial
mkdir ~/svn
cd ~/svn
git clone https://github.com/travisgoodspeed/goodfet goodfet
#This next line's lohoneyion has changed from the original documentation and the make is in this dir.
cd goodfet/firmware
#This next line shows another change. The .bsl file is in a different spot now also (under client dir).
../client/goodfet.bsl --speed=38400 -e -p goodfet.hex

Output should look something similar to this:

MSP430 Bootstrap Loader Version: 1.39-goodfet-8
Invoking BSL...
Transmit default password ...
Current bootstrap loader version: 2.13 (Device ID: f26f)
Checking for info flash... Saved!
Mass Erase...
Invoking BSL...
Current bootstrap loader version: 2.13 (Device ID: f26f)
Changing baudrate to 38400 ...
Program ...
25720 bytes programmed.

#Run a self-test (this takes a minute or more)
../client/goodfet.monitor test
Performing monitor self-test.
Self-test complete.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 November 2014 03:18]

Report message to a moderator

Next Topic: Raspberry Pi Solar Heater Controller / Off Grid
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 15:34:18 EST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01336 seconds