Ham Radio
Ham Radio, Electronics, Software and more...

Home » Electronics » Repairs » Motorola Lapdock 100 Repair (Motorola Lapdock 100 Repair)
Motorola Lapdock 100 Repair [message #2653] Sat, 13 April 2013 02:49 Go to next message
kc2nda is currently offline  kc2nda
It looks like the Motorola Lapdock 100 has problems with the charging circuit.

I purchased two of these units with the same problem. They both had a blown surface mount transistor near the battery charger/USB controller.

These blown transistors are labeled PQ10. I know one of them starts with a "K" but since the chips are badly burned, it is impossible to read the surface mount numbers on them.

This post is to start a discussion on repairs for this unit. I contacted Motorola and they do not have a service manual (for the public) for this unit. I am not sure how true this is or not, but that is what I was told.

I have two more on order from a different vendor to see if I can swap parts or identify this transistor.

If anyone knows what this transistor is or can give me the number on the PQ10 transistor, please post it.

Here is all of the information I can find on this board:
HannStar J MV-4 04V-0 1133
DA00N6MB6C0 Rev C (UPDATE)
MODEL: 0N6
310N6MB0000 D3EF1
ON6M113706AL

Thanks.

Kc2NDA
Motorola Lapdock 100 PQ10 Transistor - Repair [message #2980 is a reply to message #2653] Tue, 30 April 2013 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
root is currently offline  root
We have about 15 Motorola Lapdocks with the SAME PQ10 Transistor problem. After opening four of them, one of the chips (through the burn) was able to be read. It looks like the markings read K72.

A cross reference showed up as a 2N7002K (N-Channel MOSFET). A new one was replaced, but this still didn't seem to revive the Motorola Lapdock 100.

The battery charger chip seemed to hotter than it should be. Maybe it is possible that these units had a major problem with this chip and it pulled too much current form this MOSFET.

If anyone else has more insight to this problem, please share.

Back to testing..

KC2NDA
Re: Motorola Lapdock 100 PQ10 Transistor - Repair [message #2981 is a reply to message #2980] Tue, 07 May 2013 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nplato
I also have a Lapdock 100 with a burnt PQ10, but on closer examination with a magnifier, I noticed that U10, marked M430F5521 appears damaged -- tiny holes and cracks where smoke may have escaped. I tried obtaining a free sample from IT, as I do not feel like spending more money on it, but you need a corporate or university email address. So I don't know if replacing this IC U10 and PQ10could revive the Lapdock.
Re: Motorola Lapdock 100 PQ10 Transistor - Repair [message #2982 is a reply to message #2981] Thu, 09 May 2013 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2nda is currently offline  kc2nda
Good look. I have a couple of them and didn't notice that microprocessor was fried. I looked it up and it looks like it is a Mixed Signal Controller that can be purchased from Texas Instruments. I am not sure if it has to be programmed or not though. If so, purchasing it would be useless without the code put into it. One of the units I have has the same problem also. In the exact same spot as yours is burned... I will look at the others to see if that is a problem also. There has to be a way to hack the hdmi monitor/keyboard to work. I will do some more poking.

KC2NDA
Re: Motorola Lapdock 100 PQ10 Transistor - Repair [message #2983 is a reply to message #2982] Thu, 09 May 2013 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nplato
You are right -- it probably does need programming. Even if I get a free sample from TI, I am not sure I could successfully remove the fried one and solder in the replacement.
Re: Motorola Lapdock 100 Repair [message #2985 is a reply to message #2653] Fri, 10 May 2013 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nplato
Also found that PQ11, marked A3UV, next to PQ10 is dead -- shorted. It is the same as Q1 and Q3, -- these two seem okay. I tried a general purpose NPN transistor, without any success.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 May 2013 19:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Motorola Lapdock 100 Repair [message #2986 is a reply to message #2653] Sun, 12 May 2013 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nplato
Pins 22 and 23 of IC U14 had were shorted by solder bridge. Still trying to identify transistor PQ11.

Just noticed that the printed circuit alignment for PQ10 does not match the FET 2N7002K datasheet. Pins 1 and 3 seem to be reversed -- unless it is mounted upside-down.

I suspect the markings on most of the transistors on this board are non-standard, and that K72 on PQ11 does not indicate 2N7002K, but probably a transistor complementary with PQ10.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 May 2013 13:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Motorola Lapdock 100 Repair [message #3017 is a reply to message #2653] Tue, 15 October 2013 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
procount is currently offline  procount
I have a Lapdock 100 (the type with the cable to connect to the phone) which I used with my Raspberry PI. Unfortunately, it stopped working when I inadvertantly connected the power supply to it when I also had a powered USB hub connected to one of its output USB ports.

Please could someone tell me how to get the back of this device so I can possibly repair it? I have taken out the 4 screws and assumed it would just clip off, but it is VERY tight and I don't want to snap it. Is there a particular technique, or just brute force?

The lapdock behaviour is such that the LED no longer illuminates when the battery button is pressed (or at all), the micro USB cable is constantly supplying voltage, and the HDMI screen does not come on.

I'm hoping its just a blown charging circuit, but from this thread it seems a repair may still be difficult even if this is the case.
icon6.gif  Re: Motorola Lapdock 100 Repair [message #3018 is a reply to message #3017] Tue, 15 October 2013 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nplato
In addition to the screws on the bottom, there are a number of screws under the keyboard.
To access these, you need to remove the keyboard by pushing the 3 latch tabs located at the top edge of the keyboard close to the screen, using a tool such as a flat blade screwdriver.

Good luck!
Re: Motorola Lapdock 100 Repair [message #3019 is a reply to message #3018] Tue, 15 October 2013 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brill! Thanks very much. I've got the keybaord off. Now for the 10 screws underneath...
Re: Motorola Lapdock 100 Repair [message #3020 is a reply to message #2653] Thu, 31 October 2013 08:48 Go to previous message
Well, I managed to disassemble my lapdock, but I have the same holes in the M430F microprocessor as in the picture above, so it's toast. Sad
Has anyone had any luck re-using the HDMI screen/keyboard/touch pad or battery for anything else?
Previous Topic: Rigol DS1052E Hack to 100MHz
Next Topic: Icom IC-2720 Repair
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Nov 25 00:30:34 EST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03956 seconds