Ham Radio
Ham Radio, Electronics, Software and more...

Home » Ham Radio » Technical Discussion » Kenwood tk-981 missing components (missing components)
Kenwood tk-981 missing components [message #227] Tue, 22 June 2010 00:36 Go to next message
SJ073 is currently offline  SJ073
Hello all,

I am new here but wanted to drop a question to see if anyone can help with advice. I have a dozen or so Kenwood TK-981 radios that I am looking to sell but....

They have been set up for data, are missing internal keypad (to dummy proof them from their operators), and internal speaker. My question is do they still have any value left in them or is it too much trouble for someone that deals in these radios to fix?

What would the market price would the market bare for radios that have had this done to them?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Re: Kenwood tk-981 missing components [message #228 is a reply to message #227] Wed, 23 June 2010 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
root is currently offline  root
I did a little research on the Kenwood TK981, and it looks like they shouldn't be too hard to modify for the Ham Band.. Not sure about the missing keypad. What do you mean by missing keypad?

Here is some good information I found:
Kenwood TK981 Mobile
No mods really necessary or filter changes for 902 or 927 TX only, and 927 rx only. This a 15 watt radio.

On Kenwood's they are programmed by FCC channel number. The trick is to use FCC channel number 200 in all systems. This will indicate frequency 937.5000. You save this file and exit Kenwood's KPG-49D programming software Run a custom program such as the KW900EZP, and or a bit of hex editing to be able to use it in the ham band. In all other Kenwood's there is really no way to change the commercial -39 MHz slit for duplex operation. They have cracked this problem with the TK-481/TK-981 using the KW900EZP program, as it explains the "workaround" for this with this particular radio. If your going Kenwood this radio and the TK481 are your best plug and play bet.

Without filter changes squelch typically breaks at 0.14 uV on the high end of the band and full quieting at 3.97 uV. To use this radio for anything other than a 25MHz split, you might have to tweak the VCO to get it to RX below the 927. The sensitivity will be a less due to the RX filters. But filters for the 941, 980, & 981 are available from Digikey.

--------------------------------

As for value, that is all in the eye of the beholder. I don't think you can get too much for them if they have missing parts. To install a speaker is easy, but not sure about the other unless it is an easy fix. I have seen these sell for about $200 with an antenna and microphone, but fully converted and with all the parts.. Wink I wouldn't mind playing with a couple myself.. Good luck..
Re: Kenwood tk-981 missing components [message #2931 is a reply to message #227] Wed, 24 April 2013 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K8GDT is currently offline  K8GDT
Hi, I realize that this might be a long shot, but here goes. I've got a damaged 981 that I could use the front section for repair. Do you still have these radios available? Thanks, Gerry
Re: Kenwood tk-981 missing components [message #2937 is a reply to message #2931] Wed, 24 April 2013 16:10 Go to previous message
SJ073 is currently offline  SJ073
Hello Gerry,

I still have 2 of these. PM sent.
Previous Topic: sudden decrease in mic audio Icom IC_2200H
Next Topic: Baofeng DM-5R Teardown Circuit Board
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 04:24:33 EST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03809 seconds